Monday, June 25, 2012

Samantha - Big News


Okay guys, I’ve got news. Big news. Such big news that you will not believe it for a second! I can't even believe it. I'm just....astounded. Its crazy. I never, ever thought it would happen. Okay, so you know I live on Sullivan Street, right? Well, not anymore. Because – We’re moving. Yes. Yes, we’re moving. Not very far, only halfway across town to this street called Ellis Ave. The new house is closer to Sutton, which is good. Clearly, I can’t change schools, because of the scholarship, so it was kinda hard finding another house near Sutton.  But that’s not the real reason we’re moving. You know that my cousin Lilyana, her mother, and her sister Melanie moved in with us after her parents got divorced. Lily moved into my bedroom, and Melanie and Ms. Jones shared the spare. Well, of course Melanie hates sharing a room with her mom, but it didn’t matter so much because she was away at boarding school. But, of course she needs her own room.  Now we’re going to move to a new house that has more space, and a office for Lily’s mom. I’ve seen the house, its fantastic! Its got a huge lawn, and a swing, and trees. There is a great wrap around porch, and a little balcony. The bottom floor is a kitchen, a dining room, a living room, a bathroom, a little den, and a strange room that could be a mudroom, back when they had mudrooms. The second floor is My parents room, Ms. Joneses room, Ms Joneses office, Moms office, and Sara’s room. The third floor is Melanie’s room, Dads office, a bathroom, and our room. Its smaller then the other floors, because part of it is attic-like storage. Sounds great, huh? No. Our new bedroom is nice – But smaller then ours now. Small. Too small for four girls. At first I didn’t understand. We can squeeze, right? But travelling Stars has boarding rules, and by their definition the room is too small for all of us. Its still the biggest bedroom in the house save mom and dads, so there is Nothing We Can Do About It, Sam. Lily could share with Melanie, but nobody wants that, including – especially – Melanie. But it means we can’t all stay. One of us will have to leave. Not Lily, and obviously not me. Rebecca or Melanthe. One of them – our boarders – will have to go. Leave. One of them will have to find a new place to board here – or go back home. Four becoming three. I can’t believe it, oh my god, i just can’t believe it. We’re like the four March sisters – here forever. The four of us – friends, allies, confidants. I don’t want to loose that. I don’t want to loose us. I can’t imagine our room without Mellie or Rebecca. It would feel so empty. We have our four styles, our own little corners, our own quirks and messy habits that blend together into the perfect loft bedroom ever. We work together so well, the perfect team. Even though I know there is nothing we can do – the house has been bought, ours sold – I still think that maybe there is a way for us all to stay, even though I know there won’t be. I just am shocked, i just can’t believe this s happening. But its kind of my decision who has to leave, and I really don’t want it to be. Mellie is my friend, she’s pretty and feisty and funky and flippant. And okay, fine, maybe she has a little shoplifting problem, and she’s got a horrible temper, and she cares to much about her ‘image’ and boys, but that doesn’t matter. And Rebecca, she understands about New York, she seems shy, but she says these amazing, deep things, and she is funny when she wants to be, she’s a great dancer and super smart. She’s the hardest to live with, with her moods and silence, and the angry words I know she doesn’t mean, the times when she seems like a blurred version of herself, like a caricature that’s not funny at all. But I don’t want to let her go. Somehow I feel that if I do, she’ll slip away, just like smoke and I’ll never see her again. I just don’t know what to do.

In Shock,
Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment