Saturday, October 6, 2012

Melanthe - studying and moving



So today Samantha and I decided to study together for the History test. She is a lot better then I am at this kind of thing, so I was kinda hoping she'd help me a little. Well, a lot. Because, okay, fine, I am really, really, bad in History. I mean, come on! All those dates. It gets a bit boring. And what on earth is the point, anyway? Answer: There is none. Anyway, enough of me complaining, Rebecca says I complain to much. Well, we can't all be as stoic and distant as you, Rebecca.


" Hey, Samantha?" I asked.
"Yeah?"
" Whats the deal about moving?"
"What do you mean?" She said, surprised, clearly wondering how we'd gotten from Paul Revere to moving.
" Well, at the beginning of the summer your mom said we would be. Moving, I mean."
"Yeah." She said slowly, sounding nonplussed.
" And......we haven't." Well, duh, i told myself, inwardly groaning for having stated the obvious, again, like all the girls say I always do. 
"I thought you'd be okay with that, Mel."
"What do you mean?"
" I thought you didn't want us to."
" I didn't! But only because either me or Rebecca would have to stop boarding with you guys......."
" And Rebecca put up such a big fuss." Samantha finished.
" Exactly." I grinned. Then, as the grin faded, "So?" I prompted. Samantha sighed, and scribbled down a few notes in the brief interval of silence that had taken over the spacious loft bedroom. 
" I don't know, Mel."
"Don't know what?"
"If we're gonna move." She said, not looking at me. 
" Why not?" I gasped, surprised.
"The house got sold to somebody else."
" The one your mom was looking at?"
" Yeah."
" Well - that could be a good thing, right? Your mom could find another house with a different setup, so that Rebecca and I could keep boarding with you."
" Yeah, I guess so." Samantha nodded, glancing back down at her notes. 
After that, we settled down into the (for me) complete boredom of studying.

I thought back to the beginning of the summer, when we'd first gotten the news that we were moving. I'd been pretty scared, because there was a chance I'd have to find another family to board with. And I didn't want to. Still don't want to. To tell you the truth, I love boarding with the Parkington. They were also one of the very few families that could afford to board not one, but two girls. Me and Rebecca. And then Lilyana, Samantha's cousin; whose family also lived with them. When I first arrived from Canada, it had been a little scary. Rebecca hadn't come yet; so I was the first and only boarder with the family. It took a little getting used to, for me, used to being an (almost) only child; because I had to deal with not just Samantha and Lily, but Samantha's sister Sara, and Lilyana's sister Melanie. But then school started, and Melanie went off to boarding school, and things settled down. pretty much. Then Rebecca came, and she pretty much changed everything. Livened things up, you might say, with her moods, and fights, and overall strangness. But I've gotten used to it. And I would really hate to not be boarding here anymore. So I hope that Samantha's mom finds a new house (Close to this one, I hope, because all our friends live her) that has a loft bedroom for us. 


Melanthe








No comments:

Post a Comment